Half way between Los Angeles and San Diego is the city of Irvine California. Only 15 minutes from John Wayne Airport, the city of Irvine is home to the Orange County Great Park. This park is the focal point of Irvine consisting of over 1,300 acres, twice the size of New York’s Central Park. This amazing park is home to farmers markets, non-profit organizations, events, activities and more.
The most recent event starting on July 9th, 2011 is “Growing in the Park” event.
This event which opens at 2pm on July 9th is held at the Balloon Park portion of the Orange County Great Park. Parking and admission is free and this is fun for the whole family.
There will be a day full of music, food, games and activities and will also feature aerial performances throughout the day. There are five major areas of entertainment dispursed throughout the park.
- The Back Forty area will highlight the county’s argricultural history with petting zoos, cooking demonstrations, community gardens, booths and food pavilions.
- The Great Park Gallery will showcase the area’s arts and crafts culture with displays, local performers, and hands-on community booths.
- The Runway area will present the areas military culture featuring vintage aircraft, military vehicles, aerial entertainment, community booths and information about the military in the Orange County area.
- The Outfield area will feature sports and health. There will be fitness and sports areas to play, test equipment, demonstrations and wellness booths.
- The Sky’s the Limit area will represent the Orange County Great Park and it’s future involvement with the community. There will be a kid’s rock playground, viewing areas and open play booths displaying future activities and events held at the park. This will also be where the committee for the park will be discussing up-coming news and changes to the park.
This is a wonderful event fit for the whole family. Come out and enjoy a day of livly music, over-head entertainment and bountiful food in the peak of the season. We hope to see you all there.
The Orange County Great Park has asked to use their specially designated entrance at Jeffrey and Trabuco Rd (red waypoint on map) on the day of our Growing the Park 2011 Anniversary Celebration (instead of the main entrance at Sand Canyon and Marine Way). From the 5 and 405 freeways, exit Jeffrey Rd.
Growing in the Park Schedule
3:00–7:30 p.m.3:00–8:00 p.m.
Food Available for Sale
Sports Demos and Clinics